Friday, February 04, 2005

The Eyre Affair (after Jane Eyre)

My human has been reading out to me The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. The book was published in 2001. My human has been slow getting around to reading it.

The book is about a literary detective called Thursday Next who is after a mastermind criminal through an alternative 1985 and through the pages of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë.

I don't know the entire story as my human reads aloud to me most of the time, but sometimes he reads quietly and forgets to read out loud so I miss out.

Anyway, it is pretty exciting stuff with portals between (that alternate) reality and literary fiction. For example, Next (she is pretty cool) goes into the Jane Eyre novel and lives in Thornfield Hall and interacts with the characters except for Jane Eyre who is narrating (so that Next will not end up in the book itself).

It's all pretty neat, kinda like a book within a book (instead of a movie within a movie - like Woody Allen's 1985 film The Purple Rose of Cairo).

I can't wait to hear about the next instalment of Thursday Next's adventures in the next book, Lost in a Good Book.

Come to think of it, I haven't had Homer's Iliad read to me for some time. Maybe my human is learning Greek so that he can read the original in classical Greek to me! That would be exciting.

*********************************

Today was also cold and wet.

If you enjoyed reading this, let me know. You can email me at keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home