Saturday, September 03, 2005

the truth about the Great Fire of London

Don't forget to check out the Dogster page of Rex.

Yesterday, I wrote about the Great Fire of London, but Catster turned it into gobbledygook. Here it is!

The Great Fire of London destroyed most of London between 2 and 5 September in the year 1666.

According to official history, the fire started on early Sunday morning of 2 September in Pudding Lane at the house of Thomas Farrinor who was a baker to King Charles II. Apparently, Farrinor forgot to put out his wood fire oven before going to bed. Some time after midnight, smouldering embers from the oven set alight wood nearby (in those days, the wood for the oven is stored next to it). Farrinor and his family escaped the burning house by climbing out through an upstairs window. Their housemaid did not get out in time and was the fire's first victim. Hmm... actually it should have been her job to put out the fire in the oven.

We all know this today because Samual Pepys recorded the event in his now famous diary:
2nd (Lord's day). Some of our mayds sitting up late last night to get things ready against our feast to-day, Jane called us up about three in the morning, to tell us of a great fire they saw in the City. So I rose and slipped on my nightgowne, and went to her window, and thought it to be on the backside of Marke-lane at the farthest; but, being unused to such fires as followed, I thought it far enough off; and so went to bed again and to sleep. About seven rose again to dress myself, and there looked out at the window, and saw the fire not so much as it was and further off.

So to my closett to set things to rights after yesterday's cleaning. By and by Jane comes and tells me that she hears that above 300 houses have been burned down to-night by the fire we saw, and that it is now burning down all Fish-street, by London Bridge. So I made myself ready presently, and walked to the Tower, and there got up upon one of the high places, Sir J. Robinson's little son going up with me; and there I did see the houses at that end of the bridge all on fire, and an infinite great fire on this and the other side the end of the bridge; which, among other people, did trouble me for poor little Michell and our Sarah on the bridge. So down, with my heart full of trouble, to the Lieutenant of the Tower, who tells me that it begun this morning in the King's baker's' house in Pudding-lane
(my underlining), and that it hath burned St. Magnus's Church and most part of Fish-street already.

Diary of Samuel Pepys - 1666 from Project Gutenberg
BBC - Red Sky at Night

It also just happened that the Time Lord known as The Doctor was in London at that time thwarting an alien invasion of earth (through eradication of life by plague). Coincidentally, the good Doctor and his companions were also at Pudding Lane. Check it out - The Visitation (from BBC Dr Who)


Blame him for the Great Fire of London

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Saturdays are great. I went outside this morning when it was sunny to nibble on some grass when the washing was hung out. It turned cloudy later in the afternoon.

I also had a nice long nap together with my human on the couch in the afternoon. I have him very well trained.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home