Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Tensions in East Asia: Sino-Japanese relations

There have been many global events happening to keep a cat interested. Death of a pope, and the election of a new one. The death of a prince (Ranier of Monaco) and the second marriage of another one (Charles of Wales etc).

What has been very interesting are the tensions between China and Japan. Here is a good analysis by The Independent newspaper in the UK which gets right into the heart of the matter - Nanjing Massacre: The deepest of wounds.

In hindsight, the American occupying administration (General Douglas MacArthur) let the wartime Japanese government off very lightly, as they were more concerned about the emergence of communism.

Compare this to what happened in Germany with the Nuremberg Trials. The Germans will always be reminded of its history, so that it will never be repeated. There is a sense of collective national guilt.

In contrast, many younger generations of Japanese have no knowledge of its history during the same period. This upsets the Chinese, as in their eyes there has been no atonement.

The Chinese have very long memories which can stretch hundreds of years, and they do not easily forgive.

I think this is what it is all about. And I am a simple little cat. At least my human agrees with me.

Keiser Cat (military historian)

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I woke up very early. I don't think red meat agrees with me much, even though I do prefer it. My human also hopped out of bed very quickly (so unusual) when the alarm came on, with an announcement of "Benedict the sixteenth". He turned on the television news to make sure he heard right. Unfortunately, he had.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home