Saturday, April 09, 2005

Canaletto and Venice



Before I start, here is a photo of me sitting up at the computer. It takes me ages to type with my paws so I am thinking of getting my human to take dictation like most of the other cats on Catster who have a diary/blog. Or install a Meow Recognition Program (MRP).

I meant to write about Canaletto a few days ago. Usually, before the lights go out at bedtime, my human reads to me (sometimes, my requests which are currently Homer's Iliad and Voltaire's Zadig, but usually it is what my human is reading at the time). On Monday night, however, he showed me pictures of Canaletto's paintings. Some bedtime reading huh/meow?


Entrance to the Grand Canal

Giovanni Antonio Canal (7 October 1697 – 19 April 1768) was a painter from Venice who painted landscapes of his hometown. He was the son of painter Bernardo Canal, so his nickname was Canaletto.

Canaletto also travelled to England where he painted landscapes of the Thames, Eton etc. These were bought by King George III (the one who handled the north American colonies very unwisely).

About 12 years ago (give or take a few), the National Gallery of Australia put on a "blockbuster" exhibition of the Queen's Pictures (these were paintings which hang in Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle). Amongst the Queen's collection were a few Canaletto paintings (passed down from King George III).

In 2003, the National Gallery of Australia also had another "blockbuster" exhibition The Italians: Three centuries of Italian art which also had a few Canaletto paintings.


The view of San Marco Quay from the Bay


View of Piazza San Marco

My human tells me that Venice still very much resembles the "postcard" landscapes painted by Canaletto. The only real difference is that; people now wear different clothes, there are more tourists, there are some neon signs, vaparettos (motorised water buses) on the canals, and it has sunk a little bit more.

My human tells me that there was a great pensione near the Venice train station where a number of cats lived (a number of years ago now) who used to visit the human guests (including mine). But it was a very noisy area.

My human likes Canaletto, but I still prefer the French Impressionists and Australian Indigenous art.

Football - round 3 - my team loses (but only just - again, big sigh!). Here are the stats.

SYDNEY SWANS: 1.3, 2.4, 6.6, 13.9 (87) defeated BRISBANE LIONS: 1.5, 4.10, 10.14, 11.15 (81)
GOALS: Sydney: Hall 5, Goodes 2, Ablett, Buchanan, O'Keefe, Williams, Bevan, J. Bolton
Brisbane: Bradshaw 5, Akermanis 2, Corrie, Lappin, Adcock, Power
BEST: Sydney: Hall, Nicks, J. Bolton, Goodes, Williams, Maxfield Brisbane: Bradshaw, Johnson, Akermanis, Power, Voss, White
INJURIES: Brisbane: Lappin (corked thigh), McGrath (ankle)
UMPIRES: McBurney, James, Meredith
CROWD: 33,960

I am not impressed. I expected more from Aka. SIX points! That is one goal. Just one kick!

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Nina's human Deb's husband Oscar brought their offsbring Hugh over to mow the lawn and do some pruning. Deb then came and collected him when he finished. In between I sat on Hugh's lap (after he had finished). I hope Nina (who is a Russian Blue) gets her own page soon so we can be friends on Catster.

I also had VIPs visiting. Alfie's humans, Reg and Viv are visiting Australia from Kilsby, which is a village near the town of Rugby (where the game was invented) in the UK.



Alfie is a dog (see a picture of him above), but I won't hold that against him (what's it all about, Alfie?). They came to dinner, along with Jimmy and Lily's humans, Jackie and Brian; and Merlin's human, Kim. I hope Jimmy and Lily also get their own pages on Catster soon. I also sat on Reg's lap for a little while (I hope Alfie does not mind!).

Anyway, they had slow braised duck (marylands - the joined leg and thigh) in sangiovese (red wine), onion, bacon, porcini and chestnuts. This was served with mash potato/sweet potato/pumpkin and blanched fresh broccoli and brussel sprouts. For dessert they had 'do it yourself' pavlova (with double thick cream, passionfruit, banana, strawberry and kiwi fruit. And a few bottles of wine and beer!

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home