Friday, February 03, 2006

a feline perspective on the American State of the Union address

President Bush said something very sensible in his State of the Union address. It was the part on the Advanced Energy Initiative.

You can read about it here - White House media release - 31 January 2006
The address itself is here - State of the Union 2006

Mr Bush said "America is addicted to oil". Very true.

I think that work on alternate energy sources is great. This work should have continued after the "oil shock" of the 1970s.

It is not just finding alternate energy sources. People in the United States and other highly developed countries should also try and conserve energy and not waste it.

Large buildings where nobody works after 9pm and on weekends can turn all their lights off, and airconditioning. People can turn off lights and appliances in their homes if they aren't being used, and use the low energy light globes. They can also not have such long showers as hot water requires energy to heat.

The most important idea might be to get people to be less dependent on their automobiles. Once upon a time, people car-pooled. So many cars on American freeways only have one person in them. City and urban planners should have designed cities and towns based not on roads and cars, but on pedestrians (like say New York city, San Francisco etc, not Los Angeles).

All those cars stuck in grid lock not only waste energy/oil but people's time as well.

Perhaps some thought should be given to a holistic approach.

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Today was another warm day. My human stayed with me a bit longer this morning as he had a doctor's appointment around midday and couldn't go to work beforehand (for medical reasons). It was cool as I had settled on my couch for the day, and he gave me a kiss on the forehead.

Later on this afternoon, when he came home, Devi was with him. She wouldn't let me sit on her lap. Yes I knew it was hot, but I only wanted to say hello.

My human cooked up a Mongolian lamb stir fry (using hoisin and some other sauce, not one of the instant jars) served with rice. They seemed to enjoy it. Mind you, this was not cooked until after I had my wing for dinner. What a missed opportunity for lamb... again. I didn't even notice my human cutting the meat off the bone from a leg of lamb.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home