Tuesday, May 10, 2005

book burning!

One of the most offensive acts took place in 1933 (10 May).



Nazi youth groups burned around 20,000 books from the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft and Humboldt University; including works by Thomas Mann, Erich Maria Remarque, Heinrich Heine, Karl Marx and H.G. Wells. Student groups throughout Germany also carried out their own book burnings on that day and in the following weeks.



There is now a memorial/plaque at the site of the book burning (in Bebelplatz, Berlin).


where books are burned, in the end people will burn - Heinrich Heine, 1820

My human visited this site some years ago and he told me it made him very sad.

Wikipedia also has an excellent article on book burning.

I love books, especially when my human reads to me and I rub my chin against the cover of the book. It is my decision alone on what I tell my human to read to me. Censorship is one of the most insidious actions of a totalitarian regime, which even today is carried out in democracies (even the USA).

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I napped and listened to ABC Classic FM today. I thought Tuesday was red meat day, but all I got for dinner was Fancy Feast tinned tuna. I did, however, have another great game of ping pong ball with my human.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home