Monday, April 25, 2005

Anzac Day and a visitor

Today, Australia commemorated the 90th anniversary of Anzac Day. 25th April 1915 was the day that Australian and New Zealander troops landed on the Gallipoli peninsular (of the Ottoman Empire, now Turkey) during World War I.



It is a solemn occasion to remember the young men and women who lost their lives in war and conflicts. In Australia, Anzac Day is commemorated more prominently than Remembrance Day (11th November).

You can read more about Anzac Day from the Australian War Memorial website.

Many Australians make the pilgrimage to Gallipoli to pay respects to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. The site of endless rows of white tombstones and reading the inscriptions of the ages of those buried are a stark reminder to people today about the reality (and usually pointlessness) of war.

My humans visited the Florence War Cemetary five years ago and told me it was a humbling experience (the great-uncle of one of my humans is buried there).

My other human who is temporarily in Port Moresby attended dawn service there this morning. There are many Australian soldiers buried in Papua New Guinea as it was a major theatre during World War II (repelling Japanese invaders). The Kokoda Trail campaign was one of extreme hardship.

There was a special Anzac Day football game today. My human's other team won. Essendon Bombers 11.17 (83) defeated Collingwood Magpies 10.9 (69) - sorry about not listing the progressive quarterly scores. It was a close game in the beginning.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Today was a public holiday and my human spent the day with me, although I was on the couch napping for most of the day, except when I went outside to supervise my human taking the laundry (bedsheets and towels) off the washing line.

A really exciting thing happened today. I was looking out the front of the house through the screen door when a silky terrier dog came visiting. My human checked the dog's tag (her name is Chloe) and tried to phone the number. As the address was on the tag too, he was going to take Chloe back to her house. But Chloe's human just happened to walk by, so they were reunited (she was not walking with her lead, tut tut).

I was so displeased. I wanted to see if I could boss around a dog that was smaller than me. She was very friendly (but to my human)!

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home