Tuesday, April 11, 2006

a classical opera countdown

When I am home by myself during the day, I listen to ABC Classic FM which is wonderful (and government funded).

Well, there was a public vote a few months ago where listeners nominated their favourite opera moment. The nominations were tallied and the station came up with a top 100 countdown.



I can't say that I agree with the order, and besides I do not know all of the 'songs' listed (maybe 80 out of the 100, and my human maybe slightly less as he isn't home with me listening to the radio).

My top 10 (not in order) would have been:
Madame Butterfly - Puccini - Un bel dì (One fine day)
Lakmé - Delibes - Sous le dôme épais (Flower Duet)
Gianni Schicchi - Puccini - O mio babbino caro
Lucia di Lammermoor - Donizetti - Mad Scene (Act III)
La traviata - Verdi - "Libiamo, ne' lieti calici (Brindisi)"
La traviata - Verdi - "Follie!" (Sempre libera)
Tosca - Puccini - Vissi d'arte
La Wally - Catalani - Ebben? Ne andrò lontana
La bohème - Puccini - Che gelida manina
The Magic Flute - Mozart - Der Hölle Rache (Queen of the Night aria)
(I wrote about my favourite arias on 4 March last year)

I couldn't believe that Nessun dorma from Puccini's Turandot made the list! There is no accounting for taste, especially shaped by those pop opera singers who are really terrible, catering to the masses who think they are cultured. Well, they should really sit through an entire opera performance and not bits and pieces of pop.

The good thing about the top 100 countdown is that there are some that we haven't heard that we are going to check out.

Link - 'Your Favourite 100 Opera Moments: 100-1' from ABC Classic FM

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

.........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I had a great dinner of raw corn-fed chicken wing. I wanted more, but the other wing has been saved for tomorrow night (what a shame a chicken only has two wings). I hope I get to have some of the rest of the chicken too.

I also had some quick visitors today. Lars came over when my human arrived home from work. I never met Lars before (I heard they were at college/univ together many years ago) but my human was trying to encourage me to drop fur all over his suit (ha ha ha). But he rushed home to his children.

Then Nina's human Deb Deb came over later tonight for a few minutes, but I did manage to snuggle up to her. Something is a-paw.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home