Saturday, December 10, 2005

London without those old red double decker buses...

Those old red double decker buses that plied the streets of London are no more (except for two heritage routes - Number 9 from Royal Albert Hall, via Knightsbridge and Picadilly, to Aldwych and Number 15 from Trafalgar Square, via Fleet Street, to Tower Hill).

My human told me he loved those buses and the first thing he wanted to do during his first visit to the UK many years ago was to ride a double decker bus (it was in a town near Cambridge, but the bus was green, but it was the same type).

My human recalled to me how he checked out Notting Hill whilst sitting upstairs in a London bus once. He also prefered to travel from Knightsbridge to Gloucester Road on the double decker bus even though it was only one stop with the London Underground on the Picadilly line.

There was something about getting a sense of distance and location from above ground compared to the the Underground.

The end of an era.

- 'Routemaster makes final journey' (BBC News, 9 December 2005)
- Routemasters - Last Stop!



There is also a brilliant scene in the old classic film, To Sir With Love where Mr Thackeray (played by Sidney Poitier) is riding one of these buses. My human loves that film, even if it was way before his time.

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I had a lovely day today. I chewed on some grass when the washing was hung out this morning. I even had a nap on my human's lap when he fell asleep on the couch (and that was not long after he got up!).

He did leave me for a few hours tonight though (something about another barbeque) but thankfully I had my dinner beforehand. What is it about barbeques?

keisercat@wildmail.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Keiser said...

hey honeysuckle - stay away from the flames...

by the way, does pooch meow to you with a toffy english accent, or just hisses at you?

Sunday, 11 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home