Saturday, December 31, 2005

Hogmanay

The whole world parties on the last day of the calendar year, New Year's Eve.

The biggest of them all is Hogmanay in Scotland.

In the big Scottish cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow, large street parties take place. In the more remote towns or villages, customary first footing (where pre-arranged visitors visit right after midnight bearing gifts, but they must be tall with dark hair) and Scottish dances, or ceilidhs (pronounced "kayli"), take place.

Indeed, the traditional song sung around the world has Scottish origins.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll take a cup o'kindness yet
For auld lang syne!


And after midnight, Happy Ne'er All!

- hogmanay.net
- Hogmanay in Edinburgh

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Finally, my human is home with me when the year changes number! What a nice change to his last year being in Sydney, and the year before in Copenhagen (in Denmark).

Today was a very very hot day. Terrible. I sent my human out to check out the post-Christmas sales at the shops. Did I get a present? No! Cheapskate!

keisercat@wildmail.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My humans would call it the net of synchronicity--they too were in Copenhagen at Christmas and new year's in 2003.

Sunday, 01 January, 2006  
Blogger Keiser said...

Hey Nick

I was getting worried about you. I hope you had a good new year with the evil hippy vet's people.

My human told me the Danes love their firecrackers!

Sunday, 01 January, 2006  
Blogger Keiser said...

Furry Mew Year Pooch (and Honey). I hope you are coping with the 41 degrees in Sydney. Hopefully your slaves put on the aircon for you, or you have a sea breeze coming through the balcony (an easterly). Did you get to see any fireworks?

Sunday, 01 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home