Friday, December 30, 2005

Casals and a giant gorilla

Pablo Casals

I meant to write about Pablo Casals yesterday as it was his birthday (born 29 December 1876, died 22 October 1973).



Maestro Casals was a virtuoso cellist.

His 1930s recording of Bach's Cello Suites is one of my favourites and I ask my human to put it on every now and again for me.

We also have a recording from Heinrich Schiff which is a very different interpretation.

Here's an interesting story my human told me. When he was in Melbourne nearly two weeks ago, he went to the classical section (in another room) of one of the big chain music shops (it was HMV or Virgin), and asked if Yo-yo Ma had a version of the Bach Cello Suites. The very expert lady at the cashier desk only replied with "Pablo Casals" and then told my human not to bother with any other versions, especially Yo-yo Ma's.

Maestro Casals was that good!

the gorilla

Well, there is another version of King Kong out. Unlike the previous versions, this big gorilla comes from the South Pacific, and not Africa. Go figure. Gorillas only live in Africa.



I listened to a very interesting story from NPR on 'Race and King Kong'. It is worth hearing.

LINK - NPR 'Race and King Kong'

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Today was a very hot day again and I didn't do much. I spent most of the time napping trying to stay cool and still. My human watched a very cool Swedish supernatural film called Den Osynlige (link only in Swedish language only) in between watching the webcast of the sigur rós concert in Reykjavík of 27 November 2005 (sung in Icelandic).

In the evening (still very bright and warm as it is summer here), Merlin's humans Kim and Liam came for a dinner of teriyaki chicken with snow peas and broccoli on rice. I only had my raw corn fed chicken wing.

Later on, they watched Austin Powers - The Spy Who Shagged Me while I napped on the floor (too hot to lie on a lap) and Liam played on the computer.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home