Thursday, October 13, 2005

reality TV?

If there is one thing that has been inappropriately named, it is "reality" TV. C'mon, really?

If there is anything to be said about so-called "reality" TV, they are anything but real. So they don't have actors, but neither do documentaries or news reports.

They are more akin to a game show, as most of the people are competing for some sort of reward. They are also placed in situations which have been contrived by the producers. Take the Survivor franchises, for example, which we do not watch. Boring!

The only "reality" TV programs which should be called "reality" TV are those with a camera or cameras showing real people doing their usual thing. These are the documentary type programs showing the day to day goings on, for example, like at an airport or a hospital, or following a police patrol.

The others should really be called
- game shows (like Survivor or Big Brother), or
- makeover/lifestyle shows (like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy or How Clean is Your House?), or
- crap shows which are celebrity vehicles for untalented people to become famous for no reason (without mentioning any names, but you can guess who these stupid people are who are also undeservedly famous for being on crap TV).

If you haven't seen How Clean is Your House? check it out. It is uproariously hilarious - two English ladies scolding grown men who are not just untidy, but lazy and live in pigsties.


Kim and Aggie ready for their next 'victim' - definitely a good reason to keep your place spotless!

Here is an interesting article on Survivor - Americans in the Tropics: The imperialist imagination from filibustering to reality TV by Amy Greenburg in Common-place.

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I napped on my mat outside (but not outdoors) today. I also refused to eat the middle joint of the chicken wing for breakfast, so I was given some ham from my human's lunch (he was making a ham sandwich). I have him wrapped around my paw!

I also had such a surprise this afternoon when my human got home. He brought other humans back for me to play with! There was Malgosia (who has come to visit me once before), Leah (visiting head office from Melbourne) and Richard. They sat outside on the deck and had wine, and chips, and cheese and crackers. Unfortunately they only stayed an hour, but I got to sit on Leah's lap and she gave me a great cuddle. I like her!

We had a lightning and thunderstorm tonight, and a brief heavy rain. I went outside to watch but my human ushered me back in. He was such a fraidy cat, er fraidy human, just like a dog, scared of thunder!

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home