Sunday, July 24, 2005

what was it like in the olden days?

My human and I have been watching Outback House where some people and a television production company recreated the life of a nineteenth century sheep farm in Australia. It is really cool, and the kids living at the 'Oxley Downs homestead' even have a cat.

We dislike so called reality shows on tv, which aren't really reality (which should be more like "fly on the wall" witnessing of things), but a sort of game show (which they are, as they have a winner and a prize). My human can tolerate it, but as a cat, I can't stand it.

Historical recreations, however, are another matter and very interesting to see how modern day people (and cats) cope with the situations of times past.

We very much liked UK Channel 4's The Edwardian Country House (rebroadcast by PBS as Manor House) which was really interesting. It was interesting to see how extreme the 'stratification' of society into classes (upper class, working class etc) used to operate in 1905.

We also enjoyed the PBS Frontier House. We didn't like the rich family from California who spent all their time whining. In typical fashion of the type of people from that background, they made everything all about them.

Aside from those, there was also Australia's SBS The Colony which was a joint Irish-Australian production that we missed!

We also missed Channel 4's 1900 House (which doesn't have a website). We caught some, but not all of Channel 4's 1940s House. Rationing during the war was very interesting. And we also missed PBS's Colonial House which was not broadcast here, but looks really cool.

I think the tv production companies should do one of ancient Egypt and recreate the good times when we were worshipped!

*Please visit Cooper and Camilla who are good at finding out about things and sharing it with us.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

After all the excitement yesterday, it was a quieter day today. My human disappeared before midday and returned with Declan and Nell. They had gone to have dim sum/yum cha, which I am never invited to. I had fun sitting on Nell's lap and then Declan's, but it was a pity they didn't stay long. Declan was amazed when I started purring while on his lap. I adore Declan. He smells nice... for a human. And he likes stroking my fur.

I then had a very nice nap with my human on the couch (in typical fashion, this was during a football game on tv). Then he did chores.

Later, we watched Outback House (see above) while he ironed. My human also read some more of Harry Potter to me.

I've also gone off my chicken wings a bit. My human told me he was worried that perhaps my teeth can't crunch through the bones anymore, but I meowed/told him that I do get sick of them sometimes. I hope he gives me cooked chicken for dinner tomorrow night. What I really want is rump steak or lamb, but my human won't give that to me anymore because he has to clean the fur around my bottom the next day.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home