Saturday, July 16, 2005

fast food for dogs.... slow food for cats...

Staying on the theme of food and diets, our cat friends who are forced to endure living with a dog (or l'horreur! more than one dog) will know that these creatures gobble up their food. Woof it down.

Also, they show no discerning taste as to what they put into their mouths!

It is a bit like fast food. They eat it quickly and don't think about what is in it. A dog with a big raw beef bone, however, is a most noble creature. And it gets the dog occupied for hours.

Cats on the other paw, lovely and civilised creatures that we are, enjoy our food slow. On occasion, I will gobble up ham (but it is a treat).

Take my raw chicken wings for example. It takes me time to work my teeth and crunch up the bones. I am usually fed dinner at 6pm (breakfast is around 7.30am), and after about 10-15 minutes I will leave my dinner. There is no need to stuff my face. It goes back into the refridgerator (my human is paranoid about salmonella).

When I am ready for another bite, I sit at my meal spot, and my bowl appears again. This can be 8pm, 9pm or even 10pm. Sort of like Camilla's second dinner (she is such a Hobbit, whatever that means!)

Humans can be a lot like dogs and cats. Some want the convenience of fast food, or reheating frozen packaged meals. Others will put in the time to cook from scratch and love to have food simmering or slowly cooking in the oven. I think I prefer the latter. Great food for those who are prepared to wait and put in the effort.

There is even a slow food movement by humans.
"Founded by Carlo Petrini in Italy in 1986, Slow Food is an international association that promotes food and wine culture, but also defends food and agricultural biodiversity worldwide.

It opposes the standardisation of taste, defends the need for consumer information, protects cultural identities tied to food and gastronomic traditions, safeguards foods and cultivation and processing techniques inherited from tradition and defend domestic and wild animal and vegetable species."

Slow Food

I can relate to that. How about slow life? Sleep all day, eat, sleep all night, eat, sleep... hey sounds like the life of a cat!

Football - round 16 (in progress), my team is playing the West Coast Eagles who are on top of the ladder (they have only lost one game so far) and my team is not doing so well. Results tomorrow.

*Please visit Cooper and Camilla who are part of the Catster CKC Triumvirate. Finding things out and sharing with us. Camilla has wonderful news on her 15 July diary entry about the new pope's adoration of cats. Great stuff Camilla!

**My fish has turned purple. Many thanks Camilla for making that happen! It is even more special than red. Don't forget to keep giving me treats to keep it purple.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

The sky was blue and the sun was out this morning. My human didn't sleep in much today even though it is Saturday. I managed to go outside while he hung out some washing and I chewed on some grass and had a smell around.

He's also been hogging the computer for most of the day, though we did have a half hour nap during a football game (he set the alarm on his phone so he didn't nap for too long).

Later, Merlin's human, Kim came over (she was supposed to come over yesterday but was unwell), and they had coq au vin for dinner in celebration of Bastille Day (which was on Thursday). Later they watched Dr Who and then Kim left.

I better hop off now as my human wants to use the computer to apply for a work promotion.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home