Monday, July 11, 2005

Towser the (distillery) cat

Towser was a tabby who lived in a distillery in Scotland called Glenturret which is home to the Famous Grouse whiskey label.

She born on 21 April 1963 and lived at the distillery until she died on 20 March 1987. She got to be nearly 24 years old!

Towser wasn't famous because she got to be an old cat, but because of her mousing prowess. She held a Guinness World Record for catching the most mice, which is 28,899 mice. She also caught rats, rabbits and pheasants, but these weren't counted.

Towser had many fans all over the world who sent her presents which included caviar and smoked salmon.

Today, a statue (erected in 1997) of Towser stands on the distillery grounds to honour her. I expect many whiskey drinkers also worship her!


Statue of Towser

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Today wasn't so bad for a Monday. I managed to go outside in the morning to chew on some grass while my human hung out some washing (finally another clear day). When he finished, he went back onto my deck, and I ran after him (he usually chases me back in). Well, I would not want to be locked outside all day in the cold!

When he came home from work, we played with some of my plastic rings. I know how to get him to play with me - by running around skittishly.

Anyway, Desperate Housewives isn't on tonight, as the unreliable network that broadcasts it has replaced it with the latest series of 24 which we are going to boycott.

Instead we are going to watch the rest of the movie adaptation of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. We were watching parts of it yesterday (I did get more lap time). My human loved the book when it first came out. He said it was a brilliant character study. I can't wait for him to read it aloud to me.

I daresay, I expect to be brushed now too.

keisercat@wildmail.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

28000 mice? Towser's prey was stupid to go there. Apparently the mice did not get the message that the Glenturret Distillery has a predator. They knew there was plenty of food, but were unaware of any predators, especially one of Towser's ability.

Monday, 20 April, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home