Saturday, July 09, 2005

OK, cats, we rumble

Back on 6 December 2004, I wrote about adapting the musical West Side Story and calling it Cat Side Story.

Of course I was being silly. In the original version, we cats still get a mention!

At the start, after the first altercation between the Jets and the Sharks, Riff says, "OK, cats, we rumble...".

When the Jets start singing the Jet Song, it goes, "When you're a Jet you're the top cat in town".

Pretty cool hey?

Anyway, West Side Story was a stage musical which first opened on Broadway in 1957, then a movie version was released in 1962 (it won ten Academy Awards). The movie is still a classic. The music was written by Leonard Bernstein who was a brilliant composer. Some of the later modern musicals still don't measure up to his standard.


The Sharks getting ready for a catfight, err rumble, with the Jets

Who else but Bernstein could come up with a quintet (this is the later song Tonight sung by Maria, Tony, Anita, the Jets and the Sharks before the rumble) that uses a 'technique' more commonly found in opera to simulate a group conversation? Of course this is well complemented with lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

West Side Story

*I hope my feline friends living in the US who are in the path of Hurricane Dennis are okay. Dennis the menace!

**Please visit Cooper and Camilla who are the other two members of the Catster CKC Triumvirate. Such extensive research and well written analyses and opinions deserve to be read.

ADDENDUM

Football - round 14 - my team thrashed the Magpies!

BRISBANE LIONS: 3.7, 8.12, 13.15, 19.19 (133) defeated
COLLINGWOOD: 0.3, 0.7, 3.9, 7.13 (55)

GOALS – Brisbane Lions: McGrath 3, Merrett 3, Akermanis 2, Lappin 2, Voss, Charman, Corrie, Drummond, Johnson, Black, Notting, Scott, Bradshaw Collingwood: Buckley 2, Licuria, Rowe, Burns, Davis, Caracella
BEST – Brisbane Lions: Power, Lappin, Johnson, Black, Merrett Collingwood: Licuria, Burns, Clement, Holland
INJURIES – Collingwood: T.Cloke (ribs), C.Cloke (shoulder), Rusling (shoulder) ouch!
CHANGES – Brisbane Lions: Leppitsch (back) replaced in selected side by White
UMPIRES - Jeffery, McInerney, Pannell
CROWD - 37,224 at the Gabba

The game was broadcast on tv, but clashed with Dr Who, but my human forgot it was on, so we missed the rest of a great game.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Today was another cold day (the temperature peaked at 8 degrees Celsius) and I was glad to have my human all day (with the heater on of course).

In the afternoon, Merlin's humans Kim, Jordan and Liam came over and they played a few games of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit with DVD. I laid on my human's lap during most of the game. It seemed to be a very hard game and Jordan won two games, before Kim and my human combined efforts and won the last game (with hints of course). That Jordan sure is smart on Star Wars.

They then had pea and ham soup for dinner before going home.

Later, I got to watch Dr Who with my human.

He then put on the DVD of West Side Story for me, and I'm having a little intermission to do my diary. I think I will go back to it now.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home