Thursday, November 30, 2006

St Andrew's Day

Today was St Andrew's Day which is the national day of Scotland (much like St Patrick's Day is the national day of Ireland).

St Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland.

According to the City of Edinburgh Council
St Andrew's Day is celebrated on the 30th November.

It tends to be more popular with Scots who live abroad and there are many St. Andrew's Societies in places where Scots emigrated to. The St. Andrew's Society in Boston, in the USA, was set up in 1657.

St. Andrew's Day used to be a very popular feast day in Scotland as well. It was a common custom for farm workers and labourers to go "St. Andra'ing". They would catch rabbits and hares and later on in the day would feast and drink. There have been debates on and off for some time now about making St. Andrew's Day a public holiday in Scotland.

Many people wonder what they should eat on St. Andrew's day. Because Andrew was a fisherman, it seems appropriate to eat fish. Otherwise you could eat any traditional Scottish food. It used to be that a singed sheep's head was traditional!


We didn't have rabbit or fish for dinner. Nor haggis or singed sheep's head.

*for The Ongoing Barks of a Well Read Dog, check out Shamus (who is continuing Cammie's legacy)

.........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo..........

I had a good day today. This morning I wanted my human to chase me and play, but he went to work instead.

After I had some of my dinner, I discovered the catnip plant, but my human stopped me from getting too stoned. Hmpphhh...


Anyway, Emily visited tonight, so I spent a lot of time cuddling up to her while she and my human watched the pilot of Prison Break from the box set.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger mister jeter harris, hizself said...

wow ... iz dat wut a catnip plant lookz like?
ware can i get one?
luv--yer frend--jh

Friday, 01 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That plant is HUGE! Good lord!!!
~Shamus

Friday, 01 December, 2006  
Blogger Keiser said...

actually the catnip are in small tubs on the base of that big pot of bay tree. huge, i wish!

Friday, 01 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home