Monday, October 09, 2006

cure for Mondayitis

Mondayitis is an affliction which affects many workers worldwide as they head back to work after a weekend.

Now there is a cure.

Professor Leon Lack from Flinders University (in Adelaide, Australia) who is the head of the Sleep Research Laboratory presented a study to the Australasian Sleep Association.

According to Prof Lack, the cure is NOT to sleep in on the weekend.

See also news report - The Age

I knew that. I try to stop my human from sleeping in on the weekends, otherwise my breakfast is late.

Better to have power naps in the afternoon, which we do.

And Prof Lack agrees with me:
The benefits of brief naps

We have now compared the relative benefits on alertness and performance following afternoon naps of varying lengths (0.5 minutes, 1.5 min, 5 min, 10 min, 20 min, and 30 min). The ultra brief sleeps up to 5 minutes produced very little improvements. However, 10 minutes of sleep was followed by improvements in all alertness and performance measures soon after the nap that lasted for up to 2-3 hours. Following the longer sleeps of 20 and 30 minutes there was some impairment of alertness immediately after the naps, known as sleep inertia, with some improvement emerging an hour after the longer naps, but not better than the 10 minute nap. It appears that the “power nap” now has scientific support.


Humans have so much to learn from us cats.

*For more kitty thoughts, check out Camilla and think well wishes for her.

.........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo..........

My human left me again today, so it must be Monday.

I enjoy sitting on the kitchen floor while my human makes his work lunch in the mornings. This morning he gave me a few small pieces of cheese, and then some ham off the bone. All this was in addition to my usual breakfast of chicken.

I think I'll just enjoy lots of lap time tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yep, power naps rule!

Monday, 16 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home