Monday, June 12, 2006

Aboriginal art: Sonda Turner Nampijinpa

Back on 5 January 2005 (last year) I wrote about Australian Aboriginal art, and in particular about Johnny Warangkula Tjupurrula and Ningura Napurrula.

While my human was in Darwin he was most pleased to meet Sonda Turner Nampijinpa who is a well known woman Aboriginal painter. He spotted her painting on the ground outside a bookshop and art gallery, and ended up offering to buy her painting in progress.



As she was still painting, my human spent a few hours talking to her and learnt that Sonda also has three sisters who are famous painters. Sonda was born near Alice Springs (in central Australia) but now lives in Darwin. Her art hangs at the National Gallery of Australia and at Parliament House.





*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

.........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo..........

My human stayed home with me all day today. Woohoo! I tried to stay on his lap as much as possible (but he had to go to the shops at one stage, then he did some housework). How rude! Anyway, he stayed home because today was a public holiday for the official birthday of Queen Elizabeth II whose real birthday was in April.

I can understand official birthdays. My official birthday is on 1 March according to the vet, my real birthday is my kitty secret.

Anyway, my human told me all about his trip. It seems I had a kitty uncle Tim who used to follow my human's dad everywhere, but he got really sick and the vet helped him to pass on. My human was sad to learn of this.

My human caught up with his family and a few aunts and uncles and cousins. He told me that his extended family is huge as it is one of the old established families who were early pioneer settlers who built up the town. And yeah, they're all pretty much related to each other!

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home