Thursday, January 19, 2006

tragic romances or romantic tragedies?

Tristan and Isolde is a very old tale, probably first written in the 12th century. Being so tragic, it was suitably re-written as an opera by Wagner (we have it, but I leave the room when my human puts it on - I simply cannot listen to such heavy metal opera). It is now a Hollywood film.

Wuthering Heights is also a very tragic romance. It has been adapted into several film interpretations. The question is, why hasn't this story been made into an opera yet? Kate Bush is a talented musician, classically trained. Perhaps she could write it, and use the melody from her old hit song. Just as long as she doesn't warp the story and have Catherine returning as a ghost... "Heathcliff, it's me, I'm Cathy, I've come home, I'm so cold, let me in your window..." But please, anybody but André Previn (his operatic version of A Streetcar Named Desire was dreadful - those opera singers imitating cats on heat).

The Ghost and Mrs Muir was a sad romance of unattainable love. Why hasn't it been turned into a musical?

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

This morning I was cold and not feeling well and went straight back to sleep on my other bed. My human got all worried as I curled up into a little ball.

I was better by the time he came home as he gave me cooked fresh tuna which I gobbled up.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home