Sunday, November 06, 2005

the accent

Not much to say tonight, except for an observation on the globalisation of the film industry.

A Texan speaking like a Londoner, almost flawlessly - Renée Zellweger as Bridget Jones;
An Irishman portraying a singer from Mississippi - Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Elvis Presley; and
countless Australians in Hollywood (Aussiewood - Heath Ledger, Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, Julian McMahon etc) all faking a variation of the American accent quite well.

Unfortunately no American or British actor has been able to replicate the Australian accent flawlessly. Not even Meryl Streep in A Cry in the Dark (aka Evil Angels) could manage it. My human still has a laugh when he remembers her "the dingo's taken my baby" or "we're talking about my baby daughter". She was bad!

There is one word which is indicative of whether a person is Australian or not. Ask them to say water (similarly, daughter, quarter, etc, or even tomato).

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I had much more lap time today - my human stayed with me all day. Woohoo! In the morning, my human watched Jurassic Park III while I napped on his lap (I simply refused to watch humans being eaten by dinosaurs).


Just like a tin of sardines, only tastier

Later we had a lovely mid-afternoon nap together on the couch, before he decided to do chores.

We did watch the first part of a fascinating documentary on TV tonight called 1421: When China Discovered the World (a PBS/Pearson/Paladin co-production). My human had read the book by Gavin Menzies two years ago and told me it was remarkable and astounding.

keisercat@wildmail.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That dinosaur should have eaten ALL of them...

Tuesday, 08 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home