Wednesday, November 02, 2005

a view, a view, give me a room with a view...

As my vet said some years ago, indoor cats must have a view. A window with the blinds up, or the ability to go behind the blinds (or other window furnishings) to let us see the outside world.

We love to watch things going on outside. Especially humans walking their dogs.

One of the best books written about a view is A Room With A View by E M Forster about Lucy Honeychurch and her chaperone Miss Bartlett, two Englishwomen visiting Florence. The first chapter sets the scene really well.
The Signora had no business to do it," said Miss Bartlett, "no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy!"
...
"I want so to see the Arno. The rooms the Signora promised us in her letter would have looked over the Arno. The Signora had no business to do it at all. Oh, it is a shame!"

"Any nook does for me," Miss Bartlett continued; "but it does seem hard that you shouldn't have a view."

Lucy felt that she had been selfish. "Charlotte, you mustn't spoil me: of course, you must look over the Arno, too. I meant that. The first vacant room in the front--"

"You must have it," said Miss Bartlett, part of whose travelling expenses were paid by Lucy's mother--a piece of generosity to which she made many a tactful allusion.

"No, no. You must have it."

"I insist on it. Your mother would never forgive me, Lucy."

"She would never forgive me."

Of course, they end up with rooms with a view, but the rest of the story is even better.

It is absolutely wonderful reading. When my human was doing his undergraduate studies in college (at ANU) he lent his copy of the book to a friend/fellow student. She took it to Fiji with her and gave it back to him all tattered with some rips. He never forgave her nor lent her anymore books. My human told me that books should be respected with much care and not be treated as disposable objects. I agree.

Anyway, A Room with a View was also made into a wonderful film by Merchant Ivory. We love that film. My human told me that Florence today still looks charming, except for the two-stroke scooters which causes a smog cover.



*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Devi dropped over tonight after work for a quick dinner of Hokkien noodles with Chinese BBQ duck meat and Asian greens (choy sum). I got to sit on her lap (heh heh heh she usually tries to avert me).

keisercat@wildmail.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

keiser's human gets to eat too many yummy foods .... grrrrrr ... while the rest of us are starved of hokkien noodles ... :-(

but i totally agree that books have to be respected.

i have, however, embarked on the brave world or trying to send good book karma into the world with bookcrossing.com ...

Thursday, 03 November, 2005  
Blogger Keiser said...

hey fi,

my human told me you live in the bay area. and you have dogs!

maybe if you found a noodle factory in san francisco, you could ask them to start making some hokkien ones.

Thursday, 03 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home