Sunday, June 26, 2005

the bicycle

Why would a cat ride a bicycle? What a stupid notion! Some circuses have bears riding bicycles; also stupid!

Anyway, an early version of the bicycle was patented on 26 June 1819 in the US for a 'velocipede'. But a fire destroyed patent records a number of years later.

You can read more about it here.

A very famous saying about bicycle is A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle. This term was a slogan during the seventies feminist movement (a very interesting period in social history). The term was coined by Irina Dunn, who later became an Australian Senator for the Nuclear Disarmament Party. She is now the Executive Director of the NSW Writers' Centre.

And you thought I was going to write about a very boring transportation contraption!

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I spent a great deal of the day on the couch, at times with my human when he was watching more episodes of Arrested Development.

Today started off sunny, but it was still a cold day, and then the drizzly rain came. My human got up a little earlier today, at 10am! He will have to do much better than that tomorrow (back to work).

Tonight Lily and Jimmy's humans Brian and Jackie came over to dinner. Lily and Jimmy still don't have Catster pages yet, but when they do, they will be linked as my friends.

Anyway, they had slow cooked lamb shanks, served with mash potato and sweet potato, and blanched broccoli. This was followed by slow baked quinces in sugar syrup served with homemade custard. My human should have taken the bowl off the heat when it started thickening, as some of it cooked.

It was fun to have company. I went straight to their laps as soon as they arrived. But later, I sat on my human. Better go and check to see if my human is ironing now.

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home