Friday, March 04, 2005

My favourite arias

Today I was listening to ABC Classic FM. Today's program can be found here.

Between 10.05am and 11.05am, one of my most favourite arias was on. This is Vissi d'arte from Puccini's opera Tosca.

Tosca sings this in Act II after Scarpia (a villain) tells Tosca that he will not have her lover Mario shot by firing squad if she agrees to sleep with him instead. Such a dilemma. Tosca pleads with God, Vissi d'arte, vissi d'amore (I have lived for art and love).

It made me think of some of my other most favourite arias. Aria is Italian for air, meaning a melody or tune for solo voice, usually extended with a stanzaic structure and with an instrumental accompaniment. They are used as part of a larger work, like an opera.

Anyway, here are some of my other favourites.

Un bel di vedremo from Madama Butterfly (Puccini)
O mio babbino caro from Gianni Schicchi (Puccini)
Che gelida manima from La Bohème (Puccini)
Ebben? Ne andro lontana from La Wally (Catalani)
Der Holle Rache from Die Zauberflöte (Mozart)
Sempre libera from La Traviata (Verdi)

Of course there are many many others. I have not listed Nessun dorma from Turandot (Puccini) as it is way over-rated. It is even on pop CDs these days.

La Bohème was also very much Fatty's favourite.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

Jimmy and Lily's humans came over for dinner tonight. My human and Brian had thick sirloin steak, while Jacki had slow cooked salmon cutlet. They ate that with mashed potato and sweet potato, and blanched green beans and broccoli. They also had a strudel with custard for dessert.

I could smell the steak cooking, but did not get any! I did have the skin of the salmon - delicious. I was upset I didn't get any steak so I sat with my back to them most of the night. No steak = no cuddles.

I must admit that I did get cold leftover baked kingfish for breakfast! Maybe there will be more for breakfast tomorrow, perhaps even salmon!

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home