Saturday, April 29, 2006

someone make Elle a sandwich!

Elle Macpherson was interviewed in the(sydney)magazine May 2006 edition (out on 27 April), a supplement in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper (not online).

Elle spoke about growing up in Sydney, but with her modelling career, moving to and living in New York, Los Angeles and London. While she misses Sydney, she found that it didn't change as much for her,
except for the fact that I can't find a good salad sandwich like the ones I grew up eating. They were always the same, remember, with grated carrot, tinned beetroot and shredded iceberg lettuce? You can't get them now... they're all a bit too posh with things like avocado, grilled peppers and chutney.

Hey Elle, I have news for you...
- from a head of iceberg lettuce, take some leaves, wash and dry, bunch together and cut into thin strips
- wash and peel a large carrot, then grate
- open a tin of beetroot, drain liquid
- take two slices of bread (whatever you prefer)
- spread with butter, margarine or mayonnaise
- add filling to one slice, then cover with another slice

Sheesh... I can understand if she was moaning about something fancy, but I find it very hard to believe that she cannot make herself a simple sandwich.

It is unbelievable that people need a recipe to make a sandwich!


She left Sydney age 17 without figuring out how to make her favourite salad sandwich. Now age 43, and she still hasn't worked it out!

I like watching my human make sandwiches for his work lunch (as I usually get my second breakfast, hand-fed at this time). He likes these:
- leftover rare roast lamb, spread with cold gravy (the real stuff, not from a packet) and roast butternut pumpkin
- leg ham off the bone, sometimes with cheese
- cream cheese with smoked ocean trout or salmon with caper berries
- mashed up boiled egg with mayonnaise
- leftover cooked chicken with mayonnaise

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

.........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I forgot to mention that we watched Whale Rider on Thursday night. It is an amazing movie.

My human was up at the crack of dawn this morning. He went with Kettles' humans Klaudia and Sally and her friend Theresa to the Canberra Region Farmers Market. I mentioned before that Kettles is the white cat who lives two streets away. My human came back with apples, nashi pears, assorted vegetables, super-sized hen eggs (called bomb-busters or bum-busters, from the older 'girls'), and three loaves of bread (Italian crusty, sour dough, and pumpkin). Now the freezer is full of bread which my human had to slice and bag.

This afternoon, my human and I had a nice two hour nap on the couch, which is the perfect thing to do on a cold, wet and rainy day. My human stretched out on the three-seater and I stretched out beside him. How nice.

Then we watched a really charming film called Elizabethtown which was full of quirky characters.

keisercat@wildmail.com

1 Comments:

Blogger batik billy said...

Hi Keiser - I love roast pepper, avocado and chutney sandwiches - especially with fresh bread. Yum.

Monday, 01 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home