Sunday, March 12, 2006

royal bouquets

This morning I was lying on the floor with my chin on my paw while my human was watching Sunday Sunrise a news program.

There was a live picture showing the arrival in Canberra (where I live) of HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh on a British Airways flight.

I heard Chris and Lisa (who are the show's hosts) on Sunday Sunrise waiting for the door of the plane to open and wondering what the Queen would be wearing. After all, protocol demanded that nobody meeting the Queen was allowed to wear any clothes that would clash with hers.

When she did step off the plane on to the tarmac she was met by a few hundred well-wishers (not thousands which would have been the case some twenty years ago - frankly, most people have better things to do).

Anyway, my dozing and listening was rudely interrupted by my human asking me why people give the Queen so many bunches of flowers (I think he meant bouquets or posies). My human did have a point.


The first bouquet is an official gesture

The Queen must be sick of receiving flowers. What is she going to do with them all anyway? Hello? It's not like she is in hospital or at home, or just given an operatic performance on stage.



What will she do with all the other bunches?

My human suggested that well-wishers ought to be more thoughtful. After all, the Queen is nearly 80 years old (which she will be on 21 April 2006).

Surely she would have preferred being greeted with a Gin and Tonic, though she probably got that onboard before arrival.

What about a box of chocolates or a pot of jam?

Something much more practical would have been a pair of sunglasses. She never seems to wear them. At her age, she really should protect her eyes from ultra violet damage.

I think a pair of Ray-Bans would have made a great gift. Mind you, the lenses would need to be prescription (but her royal household can arrange it).


HM Queen Elizabeth II would look pretty cool in a pair of Ray-Bans (and they would protect her eyes from the glare of the harsh sun in Australia)

So if you are reading this (in Australia) and going to greet the Queen, please be sure NOT to give her flowers but a pair of sunglasses.

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

It was a warm day today. I spent some of this time outside on the deck. I did not even notice that my human had left me for two hours until he came back and told me that he had gone to work to make sure that a particular project was squared off.

When he came back, the back fence neighbour great Danes' human Martin came over for some feedback from my human on his job application. I jumped up on his lap to deposit my fur all over him to upset the dogs (and he was a good patter). I also hopped on the table and lied on it for a short time (ha, and I wasn't even yelled at). Anyway, Martin seemed pretty happy with the help.

Later on, I went back outside. When I came inside I found my human ASLEEP on the couch. And he had FORGOTTEN to invite me! So I meowed and meowed until I woke him up. That will teach him!

keisercat@wildmail.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her Maj receiving a pair of sunglasses instead of flowers?

Do you think she will be "amused"?

Sunday, 12 March, 2006  
Blogger jess said...

LOL at your gift ideas - much more practical than bunches of stinky flowers!

I would prefer a nice cold icy G&T if I was her.

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home