Monday, November 28, 2005

a 30th independence day that should, but does not, exist

30 years ago (28 November), the Portuguese colony of East Timor declared its independence.

Nine days later, Indonesian troops invaded and occupied East Timor turning it into its 27th province.

Indonesia's excuse was that the popular Fretilin Party was communist. The United States and Australia did nothing. After all, that dictator Suharto was an ally assisting in the fight against 'communism'.

Between 100,000 and 250,000 people died from the violence and brutality which beset the Indonesian occupation.

It took until 1999 before something was done, and that was a UN sponsored referendum on independence. More violence ensued as the East Timorese voted yes. Following peacekeeping forces to enforce order (most notably against Indonesian militia across the border), East Timor finally declared its independence as 20 May 2002.

East Timor would be celebrating its 30th independence day today if the world had not stood by and allowed such an atrocity to occur.

LINK - Wikipedia (East Timor)

*As always, please check out Cooper and Camilla who always have interesting things to say.

........ooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

I tried to get my human to stay home with me today as it was cold (for November) and he was kranky (in the German sense of the word). But he left me anyway to go to work.

I forgot to mention that I had veal for dinner last night. Woohoo! I also had shaved turkey slices for breakfast this morning. But the most exciting thing is, I ate a crocodile! Well, not a whole one. My human had crocodile sausages for dinner last night and he had a few leftover, so after he came home from work, he gave me a nibble of cold crocodile sausages. Delicious! Afterwards I had more veal for dinner. Please don't tell Steve Irwin on me!

keisercat@wildmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home